Sunday, February 10, 2019

Initial Impressions: Unicomp Ultra Classic 104

Unicomp is a Kentucky-based company that manufactures reproductions a few of the well-known buckling spring keyboards of yore.  The most famous of their reproductions is the Model M, a full-sized beast that commands a large amount of desk real estate.

This is my first full-sized mechanical keyboard purchase since my first 'board: a "Das Keyboard 4 Pro" from approximately 2014.  After a few years on smaller and more ergonomically-minded boards like the Ergodox, it will be interesting to see how this board compares.  What follows are my initial impressions after an hour or two with the board.

Seems Cool:
  • Much of this board's charm lays in its retro aesthetic.  In fact, part of the reason why I bought this board was because it reminds me of the keyboards I used as a kid.  While the board I am typing on now is not an exact recreation, I still have fond memories of the old brick I used to type on in my dad's home office.
  • The board arrived in working order, from the switches to the LEDs (for caps lock, scroll lock, and num lock).
  • Despite the old-school aesthetic, the board is ready and able to work with modern computers.  Specifically, it is equipped with a USB connector (though PS/2 versions are also available). 
  • Believe it or not, Unicomp makes an even bigger model (the PC-122); for all my love of keyboards, however, I could not justify the purchase price combined with the ISO-like enter key. 
Seems Meh:
  • I originally purchased this board with the intention to take it to my work.  Part of my job involves data entry, so having a dedicated number pad is always welcome.  Unfortunately, I could tell that the board would not be going to work with me in minutes; it is easily one of the loudest boards that I own, and would likely cause a revolt by my office-mates if I tried to use it during normal business hours. 
  • While the buckling spring switches have a nice click to them, I am not impressed by their tactility.  It may just be this version of the board / switches, but the key feel is almost mushy.  Moreover, the occasional key binding, however minor, does not help this board's case.
  • I said this in the intro, but damn this board takes up a lot of space.  Though I bought this board for the number pad, I would love it if Unicomp offered a "space saver," / TKL version of this board.  
    • Granted, there are also Model F reproductions available for purchase, but they cost 2-3 times more than the Unicomp.  Unless something changes in the next few weeks, or unless the Model F reproductions use a different version of the buckling spring switch, I can't say I'd be willing to shell out that kind of cash.
As with other initial impressions, a full review will come after I am able to spend some more time with the product.  Watch this space to hear more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...