Tuesday, May 28, 2019

"The Universe In A Nutshell," by Steven Hawking

Summary
Hawking works to present fundamental theories of the universe in a way that's digestible to the layman. 

Pros:
  • I think Hawking more-or-less succeeded in his efforts to demystify "life, the universe, and everything," as currently understood by our modern scientific models. 
  • I enjoyed Hawking's wry humor; if I recall correctly, he throws in more jokes than The Grand Design.
  • The reader's performance (and his accent) matched well with the material presented.
Cons:
  • Audiobook format means that figures are lost (though they are only explicitly referenced a few times). 
  • Despite Hawking's best efforts, the material is still incredibly dense. Beyond that, science simply doesn't have all the answers. This second point isn't a con, of course, but worth noting.
  • I sometimes found myself drifting to sleep while listening to this audiobook. I don't think it was the material present (because I found it interesting), or the presenter's voice (which is appropriately British and spirited), however.
Conclusion
I enjoyed the work. Also, given that it was published almost two decades ago, I'm curious to know how science has advanced, and how Hawking's thinking has changed over time. I'll have to seek out Brief Answers to the Big Questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...