Monday, September 30, 2019

First Impressions: Cadence of Hyrule (The Crypt of the Necrodancer feat. the Legend of Zelda)

From the Manufacturer:
Keep the beat as you play as Link or Zelda to explore a randomly generated Hyrule and procedurally generated dungeons. In the latest rhythmic action-adventure from Brace Yourself Games, you can enjoy the gameplay of Crypt of the NecroDancer in the setting of The Legend of Zelda series. As Link—or even as Princess Zelda—you'll explore the randomly generated overworld and procedurally generated dungeons on a quest to save Hyrule. Every beat of each remixed Legend of Zelda tune is a chance to move, attack, defend, and more, so stay one step ahead of each enemy and boss…or face the music.

Pros (So Far):
  • The pixel art is crisp, and detailed enough that each enemy type has an individual attack cue
  • I like that you can choose to play as either Link or Zelda.  I chose Zelda for my first play-through, though I did play as Link in the demo. 
    • As an aside, I'm worried that they won't play appreciably differently, but only time will tell.
  • I've enjoyed the music so far, though none of it stands out in my mind as, "essential to the Legend of Zelda musical canon."
Cons and Concerns (So Far):
  • The gameplay gets much more of its DNA from Necrodancer than from the Legend of Zelda.  This isn't a bad thing per se, but it is important to mention so that expectations are set appropriately.
    • In other words, the game strikes me more as a LoZ skin for Necrodancer than a something entirely new.
  • It's not clear to me what parts of the game are randomly generated.  I'm guessing its the dungeons, because the overworld has always been the same from re-spawn to re-spawn. 
    • To be clear, I do not think this is necessarily a bad thing.  In particular, I don't think procedural generation is a good fit for every game, especially those that are narratively-driven or that seek to provide a more directed experience.
  • I felt the game reported that I, "missed beats," even when I didn't.  This doesn't happen often, and it could have been that I was off.  Then again, I was also able to experiment and get way off the beat (to my own ears), and still be considered on-beat at other times during my play.  Weird.
    • NOTE: This has happened less often since I turned off latency adjustment (from 30-ish milliseconds to 0). 
  • The story isn't groundbreaking, especially for the LoZ canon.  It's serviceable, but it is safe to assume that this is going to be a standard, "good triumphs over evil hero's journey." 
  • The isometric POV means it is sometimes difficult to parse out the structure of multi-level terrain in the game.  This is most prevalent in the overworld, and is rarely a problem in dungeons. 
  • The first half of the game was really easy, and it was more-than-possible to defeat enemies and bosses with little to no strategy (especially after acquiring bottles / health potions).
Do I Still Plan To Keep Playing (AKA Final Thoughts For Now)?
This is an easy questions to answer: yes.  I liked Necrodancer in its "vanilla," incarnation, and I like it again with this coat of paint.  I'm curious to see how this version of the game will change / improve the formula.  Failing that, I like the core gameplay enough to spend some time on beating (and possibly mastering) the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...