Sunday, October 27, 2019

A Weekend in, "The Outer Worlds" (Obsidian, 2019)

I just spent a fun few days with Obsidian's The Outer Worlds.  I was hoping for a game similar to Fallout: New Vegas, and Obsidian has definitely delivered.  I don't think it's fair to call the game Fallout In Space (especially given the limited scope of each individual world, the more overt political messaging, and the overall aesthetic), but those looking for a game with similar DNA will definitely find a home in The Outer Worlds.  Here are a few of my initial impressions.

Things I Like:
  • There are lots and lots of ways to play & roleplay
    • As an aside, this can also lead to option paralysis.  I found myself reloading a save more than once to get what I considered to be the, "best," possible outcome.  Then again, that may be my issue as a player, not the game's fault.
  • Character customization is in-depth without being overwhelming.  One such example is that you occasionally have the ability to take on a flaw (like fear of dogs) for an additional perk point.
  • I've enjoyed the characters (and the variety of skin tones, ages, etc), the world-building, and the aesthetic of the game a lot.  There is definitely a lot to like here.
    • BUT: there are still basically no chubby people, though, which is a disappointment.
    • Sassy ship AI ADA is a stand-out, as her dialogue options typify the game's humor
  • I like the variety of weapon types, and the fact that so much of the game can be approached with no weapon at all.
  • The world is suitably dystopian.  It is fun and funny to watch the game lampoon the most absurd excesses of capitalism and corporations.
Things I Don't Like So Much:
  • I am playing on PS4 Pro, but the load times can still be killer. 
  • Seeing the same companion animations over and over gets repetitive.  I wish there was a way to turn off said animations (or that there were more attacks for each companion).
  • The button mapping took a touch of used to at first (ie that L3 is sprint and not crouch, for example)
    • There are also a few bits of UI weirdness (like the fact that it is impossible to unequip a companion's helmet after you put one on, and the fact that it is very difficult to holster your weapon and keep it away).
  • The game is easy on normal mode, especially with companions.
  • This is a nitpick, but I haven't really found an armor I liked the look of.
  • I'm curious to see if the game can, "stick the landing."  In other words, it is quick to portray an extreme, distorted view of capitalism, but will it also be able to provide meaningful alternatives?
    • I get that this is a video game and not a philosophical text, but if the game is going to purport to be, "about something," then I want it to follow through on the promise.
I can already tell that there are plenty of choices I would change if / when I play though the game again.  It remains to be seen if the game is short enough to allow this, but other reviews have implied that it is possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...