Monday, November 11, 2019

Katana Zero by AskiiSoft and Devolver Digital (Switch)

From The Publisher: 
Katana ZERO is a stylish neo-noir, action-platformer featuring breakneck action and instant-death combat. Slash, dash, and manipulate time to unravel your past in a beautifully brutal acrobatic display.


-x-

I recently completed my first play-through of Katana ZERO for the Nintendo Switch.  I was able to complete the game in approximately 6 hours, and was generally drawn in by its moment-to-moment gameplay and overall aesthetic.  For more details, see my full review below. 

Basic Info:
  • Name: Katana ZERO
  • Release Date: April 18th, 2019
  • Platform: Nintendo Switch
  • Price: $15, though I bought it on sale for $10
  • Developer & Publisher: AskiiSoft, Devolver Digital
  • ESRB Rating: Mature
Pros:
  • I enjoyed the game's neo-noir setting, which I think paired well with the neon aesthetic.
  • The story was engaging, and kept me playing even when certain subsections of a particular level were very frustrating.  The story is not without issues, however (see: cons).  
    • Beyond that, the story is layered enough that I am seriously considering replaying the game to choose different dialogue options.  Said options don't seem to affect the moment-to-moment gameplay, save a "big decision" in the back third of the game, but they were a large part of what initially drew me in.
  • Though the game bills itself as featuring "breakneck action," there is definitely a puzzle element to the game.  Tactical thinking is rewarded, and charging headlong into enemies without a plan is asking for defeat.
  • I appreciate that the moment-to-moment gameplay was mixed up pretty regularly, with everything from (minor spoilers) boss fights to a section where you can play as a different character with a slightly different power set.
  • After beating the game, extra content is unlocked, including a speed-run mode and hard mode.  I always appreciate bonus content like this.
  • I think the bite-sized nature of the game pairs well with the Switch.  Even though I completed the game in two sittings, each sub-stage is small enough that I could have comfortably played through the game in shorter bursts.
Cons:
  • The story is incomplete, and ends on a cliffhanger.  The game was very well-received, so my hope is that a sequel is likely.  The fact that the story was not self-contained also means that the story may never be finished if a sequel / follow-up is never released.  That would be a bummer.
  • Though enemy patterns seem to fall within certain pre-scripted parameters, they are not exactly the same every attempt of a given level.  This means that strategies that failed one attempt might be successful in the next (and vice versa).  Though I concede that most of the failures were my fault (i.e. rushing / pressing a button too early, etc), the upshot of this was that, for me, occasionally victories felt unearned and losses felt unwarranted.  
  • I thought the music was serviceable, but It didn't blow me away.  I'm not humming it post-completion, and I don't feel a compulsion to seek it out for consumption outside the game.
  • (Minor Spoiler) One of the post-game modes seems incomplete, and even offers the message of, "come back in a few months."  If the level / mode isn't complete, why include it in the game at all (especially in the age of digital distribution of games where updates can be pushed out over the internet)?
  • One of the game's features is that a "full speed" run of each level is played back after completion.  While this sounds cool in theory, I often found myself skipping it, especially on levels where I didn't use the time dilation feature much.  These playbacks often also come with small graphical glitches (e.g. like a smokescreen not displaying properly). 
  • (Nit-pick) Occasionally, the way enemy arms & bodies move while tracking the player character look a little goofy.  This is most prevalent while the player character is airborne. 
How Does The Game Compare to Hotline: Miami?
I think some may be tempted to compare these games (Katana ZERO & Hotline: Miami) due to the shared neon aesthetic and fast-paced, one-hit-death gameplay (not to mention that Devolver Digital published both).  Personally, I think this comparison falls flat with even slight scrutiny.  Here are a few reasons: 
  • Katana is a 2D action platformer, while Hotline is a "2D" top-down shooter.  
  • Katana's use of the neon aesthetic adds to the atmosphere, while Hotline's was disorienting (to me).  
  • Katana's story is less opaque than Hotline's.  Katana's may be dense and non-linear, but I still felt I had a clearer picture of what was going on after completing the game (as compared to Hotline).
  • Katana both uses and encourages a time dilation / slowing mechanic; Hotline has no such mechanic. 
At the end of the day, I think folks who enjoy one game can enjoy the other.  With that being said, they are different enough that I recommend watching a few minutes of gameplay on YouTube (or a similar service) first to confirm whether either game is "up your alley," before purchasing.

Conclusion:
In retrospect, Katana ZERO reminds me of a slightly stripped down version of Mark of the Ninja with regards to its moment-to-moment gameplay, story, themes, and tone.  While Mark traded in subtlety, Katana is full of bombast, blood, and neo-noir goodness.  Ultimately, I enjoyed my time with Katana ZERO, despite some of my niggling concerns about the game (especially the story).  I think the game is definitely worth picking up if the premise sounds interesting to you, or if punishing, fast-respawn 2D platformers tickle your fancy.  This is doubly true if the game is on sale.

Final Score:
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...