Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Franklin-Christoph Model 66 x Hippo Noto (M, S.S.)

Up for review today is the limited edition Hippo Noto Franklin-Christoph Model 66.  I purchased this pen for myself as a holiday present.  How does it compare to my existing collection, including my other Franklin-Christoph pens?  Read on to find out. 

Pros:

  • The body is long without being too girthy, meaning it is comfortable to write with.
  • Franklin-Christoph offers a wide variety of nib types and materials
    • This includes: stainless steel and gold options, with everything from needlepoint to music nibs.  They also recently added an EF flex nib, which I am excited to try.
    • As an aside, the Diamine Eclipse ink I paired the pen with seems to run a bit dry, but I've had almost no hard starts.
  • The pen includes a cartridge converter.  This is appreciated, as I do not plan to eye-dropper the pen.
  • The section adds a nice pop of color to the pen (in this case, lilac).
  • The barrel of the pen has a (subtle / small) flat portion.  It isn't as effective as a traditional roll-stop, but it allows the pen to maintain a smooth aesthetic without giving up having a way to keep the pen in place.
  • The pen is a "special edition" / collaboration, which may appeal to some pen lovers.  To my knowledge, it isn't a numbered run, though
  • I got a free pack-in of pocket-sized Tomoe River notebooks (a $18 value) with my purchase of the pen.

Cons:

  • The design isn't "bad," by any means, but the bulbous, utilitarian form isn't for everyone (and it certainly isn't the most aesthetically pleasing pen I own).
    • Along these lines, the barrel is a bit wider than the section.  The "step" is small and I barely noticed it, but it makes the pen less aesthetically pleasing.
  • Most new Franklin-Christoph pens come in a leather sleeve; this model came in a presentation box.  I would have preferred the sleeve, as they are more useful. 
  • Though they are quick to clean off, the pen's "smoke and ice" finish easily gathers ink marks (especially on the inside of the cap). 
  • I was disappointed to learn that the section was not interchangeable with other Franklin-Christoph sections, or at least not with the extra Model 02 section I had laying around.
  • Depending on who you ask, the price of the pen ($185 USD) is high, even compared to other Franklin-Christoph models.

Conclusion:
Though the pen isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, it writes well.  I've both owned (and own) a number of Franklin-Christoph pens.  They've all been reliable, and I don't expect this pen to be any different.  If I could do it all again, though, I'd just purchase a "standard" Model 66 on the used market.  The more time I spend with it, the more I feel the "Hippo Noto," affiliation doesn't add value to the pen (save the section color).  I feel I could've been just as happy with a "solid color" Model 66, as they seem to float around half the price of what I paid for this pen new.

I can't be more plain than this: unless you really like the aesthetics of this particular pen (and especially the section), you're better off buying a "standard issue," Model 66.  You may even want to consider a different Franklin-Christoph model; my personal favorite is the Model 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...