Thursday, January 23, 2020

Ensso Italia (Fountain Pen: Ti, M)

From The Manufacturer:
The ITALIA Fountain Pen is a modern pen inspired by classic Italian pen design. It is expertly machined out of solid aluminum, brass, and titanium. The minimalistic design is only decorated with a beautiful Greek Key or the classic 3 stripes. The pen is equipped with a superb German-made nib (Bock #6) and ink converter (Schmidt). At the end of the campaign, during the survey, you will select your desired nib size and decoration (Greek Key or 3 stripes).

Pros: 
  • The greek key on the pen's cap and section add aesthetic flair to the pen.  These are what initially drew me to the product.
  • There were plenty of nib options at the point of sale, including the medium titanium nib I selected (for an added $40 USD).
    • Speaking of nib performance, the pen did a fine job at reverse writing.  
  • The branding is very subtle, and can only be seen when the pen is disassembled.
  • A cartridge converter is included
  • The packaging of the pen was minimal (a single plastic shipping sleeve in a padded envelope).  I am listing this as a pro because I enjoy pens, not the boxes they come in.
  • Titanium is both light and sleek, even if its use raises the price of the final product.
  • The clip is fine; it isn't so stiff as to be unusable. 
  • The pen can post, and deeply, but I don't post the pen for fear of scratching the body.  
Cons:
  • There is an uncomfortable metal-on-metal sound and feeling when capping and uncapping the pen.  This is particularly bothersome because it does not happen with my other metal pens at 1/2 the cost or less (the Namisu Ixion comes to mind).
  • I also don't like that the pen's cap doesn't sit flush with the body when it is completely screwed on.  This gives the pen an, "incomplete," feel.
  • The pen's shape is uninspired.  It doesn't help that many budget / entry-level pens have a similar shape.  
    • This is more personal preference than a con, but I would have preferred a flat-top model
  • Even though I like titanium nibs, the Bock nib paired with this model is noticeably darker than the pen's body, giving it a mismatched aesthetic. 
    • I am also not thrilled that the pen's size isn't listed on the nib.
  • I'm worried that the pen will run dry because of the aforementioned capping issue.  I haven't encountered this problem yet, but only time will tell.
Conclusion:
In my mind, the Ensso Italia is an interesting, if flawed pen.  I could overlook most of those flaws if not for the pen's biggest issue: the difficulty capping and uncapping.  That alone makes me shy away from the pen, as capping and uncapping is a central part of my pen-using experience.  Maybe the problem isn't so bad when the pen is made of other materials (e.g. aluminium), but I can only review the pen I received.  Ultimately, unless you really love the look of this pen, I think you can safely skip it.

Final Score:
6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...