Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Initial Impressions: HHKB Professional 2 (45g Topre)

The Happy Hacking Keyboard, or HHKB is a legend in the keyboard community.  Introduced in 1996 and developed by PFU Limited of Japan and Eiiti Wata, the HHKB has inspired legions of fans and clones alike.  Though the keyboard has an eye-watering price point for a readily available keyboard, many enthusiasts defend the cost due to the Topre switches, unique layout, and legacy.

Personally, I felt some trepidation buying this board on Amazon because this is the second time I've purchased an HHKB.  I returned the first one because I couldn't get used to the layout (and because the black-on-black design made the keys all but impossible to read except in the most optimal lighting conditions).  Now that I've had more time with my Realforce 87U (55g Topre) and really grown to appreciate Topre switches, I figured this board deserved another chance.

What follows are my initial impressions after unboxing the HHKB and spending approximately 1 hour typing on it.

Basic Info:
  • Price: $240 via Amazon Prime
  • Color: Beige
  • Set-Up Time: 2 minutes 
    • Though the board worked out of the box, I had to take a minute to change one of the dip switches to alter the board's layout.
  • Switch: 45g Topre (Rubber Dome)
Seems Cool:
  • For better or for worse, I still really like the aesthetic of this board.  Its iconic look has been imitated by countless other boards for a reason.  I especially like this board in beige, since it adds a lovely retro feel to the proceedings (and makes the keycap font much, much easier to read).  
  • Topre is (generally) a pleasure to type on, though I still prefer 55g domes to 45g.  If I end up keeping this board, I will likely replace the stock domes with either BKE Ultralights or Lights, depending on what's available.  I might even go so far as to lube the sliders on this bad boy. 
  • Given the long-term popularity of the HHKB, there's lots of accessories available for it.  This includes everything from dust covers to rubber pads for the bottom of the board.  I am not sure if I'll be keeping this board so I'm not in a rush to buy in, but I am glad that the ecosystem exists should I choose to invest.
Seems Meh:
  • The board's layout cannot be remapped out of the box.  Remapping is only made possible by purchasing and installing an aftermarket Hasu Controller.  This is a hard sell for two reasons: 1) the controller is an added $85 cost on top of a $240+ keyboard, and 2) while installing the controller is supposed to be relatively easy, doing so also voids your warranty.  The fact that minor changes can be made to the board's layout via dip switches is a small consolation at best.
  • Even the second time around, the board feels cheap in my hand.  The all-plastic construction both contributes to this and makes the price that much more difficult to swallow.  I was also not impressed by the lack of rubber on the bottom of the board (including the lack of rubber on the bottoms of the flip-out feet).
  • Though I like the included keycaps, it's annoying that I can't easily change them without also making modifications to the board (ie by installing aftermarket MX compatible sliders).  
  • Not all of the layout changes that come as part and parcel of the HHKB are welcome.  While I actually like replacing the rarely used Caps Lock key with Control, having the backspace key a row lower than on most keyboards is tripping me up.  I also don't particularly like the diamond-shaped arrow cluster (on the [, ;, ', and / keys respectively) and would prefer dedicated arrow keys.
Ultimately, I am excited to give this board another go.  If it ends up as a part of my permanent collection, I'll own a little piece of keyboarding history.  If it doesn't, I'll probably go for one of the MX-style HHKB clones (the KBDFans Tofu and RAMA M60-A come to mind).  Only time (and my full review) will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...