Sunday, February 17, 2019

Unicomp Ultra Classic 104

As I stated during my initial impressions, Unicomp is a Kentucky-based company that manufactures reproductions a few of the well-known buckling spring keyboards of yore.  The most famous of their reproductions is the Model M, a full-sized beast that commands a large amount of desk real estate.

This is my first full-sized mechanical keyboard purchase since I bought a "Das Keyboard 4 Pro" in 2014.  After a few years using smaller and more ergonomically-minded boards like the Ergodox, it has been interesting to use this board.  Now that I have had more time to use and become familiar with this board (approximately 1 week of dedicated home use), I feel more comfortable producing a "full" review.

Basic Info:
  • Purchased From: Unicomp, Inc.
  • Cost: $140 USD
    • $87: Keyboard, $30: Printed ANSI Modifier Keys (normally $36, Unicomp offered a discount for buying this with the 'board), $20: Tax
    • Free shipping
  • Set-Up Time: N/A (board was ready to use out of the box)
Pros:
  • The board has a great retro aesthetic, paying homage to the beloved Model M keyboard.  This includes, among other things, a lip for a pen / pencil / writing implement.  The board is also a bit of a "chungus," (ie it is very large), and dwarfed in size only by the PC122.
  • Though the Ultra Classic is based on a board that is decades old, it still includes modern features, such as a USB connection and the OS key.  With that being said, those who want a more "old school" experience can purchase the board without an OS key and a PS/2 connection. 
  • Unicomp offers a wide variety of customization options for the keyboard, from covers and keycaps to replacement cables and LED overlay stickers.  The attention to detail is impressive.
  • This keyboard sounds unlike any other keyboard I've used.  This is no doubt due to the buckling spring mechanism of the board, which has a distinct, metallic click when being used.  This is a bit of a double-edged sword, however (see "cons," below).
Cons:
  • I'm not sure if it is this version of the buckling spring, or all buckling spring switches, but I found the typing experience to be, "mushy."  Though this feeling subsided somewhat as I spent more time with the keyboard, it was never fully resolved.  Each key's short travel distance (especially in the alphas) paired with a rock-hard bottom out required me to use a softer touch than I was expecting.  Even after I adjusted, I still wasn't particularly comfortable typing on this 'board.
  • This may not be a con depending on your use case, but this keyboard is loud.  I originally purchased this keyboard with the hope of taking it to work with me, but my office-mates would have my head if I brought in something this noisy.
  • The keyboard does not include a detachable USB cable, or any built-in cable management.  While this makes sense given the retro aesthetic the board is going for, I can't say that I didn't miss those features a touch during my time with this board
  • The manufacturing tolerances on this board are not great.  Some keys are higher than others in the same row (I'm looking at you, OS keys in the bottom row), and a few of the keycaps came with unfinished bottom edges.  Neither of these really affect usability, but it is still a minor annoyance (especially on a keyboard that costs over $100 shipped).

Conclusion:
There is a lot to like about this board, from the retro aesthetic to the manufacturer's attention to detail.  The price also seems reasonable when compared to other off-the-shelf boards.  For example, a full-sized Das Keyboard 5 comes in at a similar price, and more niche offerings like Topre can cost 2-3 times more than the Unicomp. 

With that being said, the Unicomp failed me in the one place a keyboard must excel: the typing experience.  Even after I had a week to get used to it, I still strongly prefer the "thocc" of Topre and the tactility of my Zealios.  Ultimately, while I think the Unicomp is a fun piece of keyboarding history, I am not sure that I need it in my permanent collection.

Final Score:
6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...