Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Input Club's Kira

The Kira by Input Club got its start on Kickstarter in March of 2018.  While the project did not make its delivery estimate of October 2018, I am glad it made it out of production and into the real world.  The board uses a 96% layout, meaning that it has almost all of the keys of a "standard" full-sized keyboard, but with a lot of the "dead space" cut away (along with a few compromises on keys, like a shorter right shift).

After almost two weeks of use at work, I am ready to provide a full review to this keyboard.  Was it worth the wait,not to mention the cost?  Find out below.

Basic Info:
  • Price: $260 from Kickstarter, now available at the Kono Store
    • $250 for the keyboard, $10 for shipping
  • Switches: Kaihua Speed Copper
  • Set-up Time: ~30 minutes
    • Though the board was working out of the box, the manufacturer recommended flashing it with the latest firmware.  I also had a key-mapping issue (see cons).
Pros:
  • The board has a bit of heft to it, which helps it feel solid.  It mostly retrains this feeling even without the metal frame, so I am not sure the $80 up-charge for metal was worth it.  If I could do it all again, I would probably go for plastic instead.
  • The hot-swap sockets are a win for convenience and not having to learn to solder.  
  • The pack-ins for this board were all great.  Pack-ins included: a travel case, extra accent keys in multiple colors, a key cap puller, and a switch puller.  As I said in my initial impressions, while I think the case is too big to EDC (or not something I could easily fit into one of my bags), it has held up nicely.  
    • If I had to come up with a complaint or two, it would be that the case has a few minor finishing issues (e.g. a loose thread here and there), and I would have loved to see the case in other colors.  Then again, given that the project started on Kickstarter, I'm glad I have a finished product to review at all (and I understand how offering other case colors would have only added to the timeline and complexity of the project's completion).
    • Note: I am not sure if these pack-ins are included post-Kickstarter; they are neither mentioned nor pictured on Kono's product page.  Then again, they aren't mentioned on the Kickstarter page either, so your mileage may vary.
  • I like high-profile cases, and this one is no exception (though the frame does not completely obscure the bottoms of the keycaps).  I am also intrigued to see what Kono and the community do with the fact that the frame / top plate is removable and replaceable.  
Cons:
  • This board came with a few unwelcome surprises.  This included the fact that: 
    • I had to remap and flash the board to have "." be on the top layer instead of ">".  While this was only a minor inconvenience in the moment, it was still an unwelcome surprise in a keyboard that cost over $250.
    • The indicator LED's (e.g. caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock) only seem to work when RGB mode is enabled.  
    • The stem / cracking debacle was unwelcome, but not the fault of the manufacturer.  I was able to switch from Hako Clears to Speed Coppers, so it wasn't too much of a fuss for me.
  • The underglow was not as prevalent as I would have liked, and is difficult to see even in low-light settings.  Moreover, the keyboard is gaudy with all of the RGB engaged; after the "oohs," and "aahs," of my initial viewing, I tended to keep the RGB off.  The fact that RGB turns back on whenever the keyboard is rebooted is also a minor annoyance, but it is easy enough to turn back off.
  • I can't help but question the manufacturing tolerances of the Kira.  No one issue is a deal-breaker, but taken as a whole, they do add up.  Issues include: 
    • Keys that seem a little too low or too high compared to the rest of the row they reside in (my "\" key is a bit too low, while "4-6" of my number cluster is too high). 
    • The "G" key seems slightly misaligned when compared to the keys around it. 
    • The bottom of each key seems to be slightly concave, giving a feeling of incompleteness / poor finishing.  A number of keys also have a bit of extra plastic / flash on their bottom ridges as well.    
  • (Nit-pick) I occasionally struggled with finding the arrow cluster given its close proximity to other keys.  This was most prevalent when using the 1U "0" key (which is normally 2U on a full-sized board).  I am listing this as a nit-pick because I think this is a function of the layout, and not necessarily the board itself.  Moreover, I think this is the kind of thing I could become used to over time.  
  • (Nit-pick) The included cable is bland at best, and the board offers no cable management options.
  • (Nit-pick) As I suspected, the non-slip strips on the bottom have attracted a fair amount of gunk.  I am listing this as a nit-pick because A) it was less gunk than I expected, B) it was relatively easy to clean off, and C) only time will tell how the pads handle additional gunk exposure.
Conclusion:
I bought this keyboard around when I started collecting, and it seemed perfect at the time.  Now that I have a bit more experience (not to mention a love ergonomic boards / layouts), this keyboard has lost a fair amount of luster.  Given the keyboard's strengths, I will probably keep it around as a switch tester.  I don't foresee this board becoming a daily driver, however.  In hindsight, I probably would have been happier just buying a number pad given my use case.

Final Score:
6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...