Wednesday, March 13, 2019

HHKB Professional 2 (45g Topre): Stock

The Happy Hacking Keyboard, or HHKB, is a legend in the keyboard community.  Introduced in 1996 and developed by PFU Limited of Japan and Eiiti Wata, the HHKB has inspired legions of fans and clones alike.  Though the keyboard has an eye-watering price point for a readily-available keyboard, many enthusiasts defend the cost due to the Topre switches, unique layout, and legacy.

Personally, I felt some trepidation buying this board on Amazon because this is the second time I've purchased an HHKB.  I returned the first one because I couldn't get used to the layout (and because the black-on-black design made the keys all but impossible to read except in the most optimal lighting conditions).  Now that I've had more time with my Realforce 87U (55g Topre) and really grown to appreciate Topre switches, I figured this board deserved another chance.

This review comes after three weeks of home use, and was typed on the aforementioned HHKB.

Basic Info:
  • Price: $240 via Amazon Prime
  • Color: Beige
  • Set-Up Time: 2 minutes 
    • Though the board worked out of the box, I had to take a minute to change two of the dip switches to alter the board's layout.
  • Switch: 45g Topre (Rubber Dome)
Pros:
  • I still really like the aesthetic of this board.  Its iconic look has been imitated by countless other boards for a reason.  I especially like this board in beige, since it adds a lovely retro feel to the proceedings and has the added benefit of making the font much, much easier to read than the "blackout," model.  
  • Topre is (generally) a pleasure to type on, even if I prefer 55g domes to 45g.  I have ordered a set of BKE Lights (for $70), but they have not arrived yet.  More to the point, I don't think their performance should be factored into a "stock" review.
    • As an aside, I'm not bothered by the cost of the replacement domes, given that a set of high-end MX switches could easily cost just as much (e.g. zealios at $1 / switch).
  • Given the long-term popularity of the HHKB, there's lots of accessories available for it.  This includes everything from dust covers to rubber pads for the bottom of the board.  
    • I did not end up buying any accessories for this board, but I will say that my wrist rest did make the experience more comfortable.  I almost bought a travel case for the board, too, but I decided against it since I don't love this board to the exclusion of all others, and traveling with a keyboard is a bother.
  • Some parts of the board's layout are so good I am replicating them on other keyboards (e.g. switching the rarely-used Caps Lock key for Control).  Others were appreciated but not essential (e.g. the "delete" key being a row lower than most other boards).  
    • I complained about the delete key in my initial impressions write-up, but I acclimated to the change quickly.
Cons:
  • The board's layout cannot be remapped out of the box.  Remapping is only made possible by purchasing and installing a Hasu Controller.  This is a hard sell for two reasons: 1) the controller is an added $85 cost on top of a $240+ keyboard, and 2) while installing the controller is supposed to be relatively easy, doing so also voids your warranty.  The fact that minor changes can be made to the board's layout via dip switches is a small consolation at best.
  • Even the second time around, the board feels cheap in my hand.  The all-plastic construction both contributes to this and makes the price that much more difficult to swallow.  I was also not impressed by the lack of rubber on the bottoms of the flip-out feet (a feature that I think is reasonable to expect on a keyboard that costs as much as this one does).
  • Though I like the included keycaps, it's annoying that I can't easily access the wide and wondrous world of aftermarket (MX-style) keycaps without also modifying the board (by installing aftermarket MX compatible sliders).  
  • Not all of the layout changes that come as part and parcel of the HHKB are welcome.  I don't particularly like the diamond-shaped arrow cluster (on the [, ;, ', and / keys respectively).  I would have preferred dedicated arrow keys (or at the very least, arrow keys on the WASD function layer).
  • This is more of an observation than a con, but I never used the USB pass-through ports on the back of the keyboard.
Conclusion:
I will not be keeping this keyboard in my permanent collection.  A number of factors brought me to this decision: 1) the price, 2) the use of lackluster materials (the cheap-feeling chassis), and 3) the lack of programmability (without the use of expensive and warranty-voiding aftermarket parts).  I did not end up purchasing the RAMA M60-A, either, and I do not intend to purchase a KBDFans Tofu (because the group-buy ended before I could commit and because I do not like the sharp edges of the Tofu, respectively).  What's my plan, then?  Simple: buy a Leopold FC660C.

With all of that being said, this board has more than earned its place in the keyboarding community.  I doubt anything I say could would sway the HHKB's hardcore fans.  My take-away, then, is this: it's expensive, the layout isn't for everyone, and you can find more feature-rich options at a lower price (and even options in the same form factor, assuming you aren't married to Topre switches).  It isn't a total loss, though; the HHKB isn't popular without reason, and those who embrace its quirks will be rewarded with a keyboarding legend they can enjoy for years (or even decades).

Final Score:
7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...