Thursday, March 21, 2019

Initial Impressions: Let's Go: Eevee w/ PokeBall Plus (Switch, 2018)

Let's Go: Eevee was released in late 2018 to warm critical reception.  A remake of the original Pokemon titles (Red, Blue, and Yellow, respectively), the game features all of the pokeman players have come to know and love, with improved graphics, streamlined mechanics, and "partner" pokemon (the eponymous Pikachu and Eevee) that bring a big dose of cute to the proceedings.

I recently put about 8 hours into the game, so I figure I have enough experience with it to offer some initial impressions.  I plan to post a complete review after completing the game (or at least besting the Elite 4), and having more hands-on time with the PokeBall Plus controller.

Basic Info:

  • Name: Let's Go Eevee
  • Release Date: 
  • Price: $100 ($50 for game and PokeBall Plus, respectively)
  • Publisher: The Pokemon Company / Nintendo
  • ESRB Rating: E / Everyone

Seems Cool:

  • As far as games go, I have to give this one props for holding my attention.  Even decades after the original game's release, I still find it easy to play this game for hours at a time.
  • I'm not sure when this was implemented in the lifespan of the Pokemon franchise, but having a "partner" pokemon that follows behind you is just plain cute.  I also like that you can have your Pikachu or Eevee out in the world even if they aren't in your party.  This is sure to please more competitive players who don't necessarily want either pokeman in their party.
  • (Hot-take) Eevee is a better starter than Pikachu, because Eevee can learn more moves, has a much larger pool of pokemon it can evolve into, and the pokemon is cuter, too.  Pikachu, while cute, is incredibly over-exposed.
  • I like that pokemon can be seen in the over-world map in this version of the game (not unlike Let's Go's sister game, Pokemon GO); it means that tiresome battles can be skipped if desired, and it's never a surprise what you're going to be capturing.  I suppose long-time fans of the series may dislike this, but as someone who has played on and off since Gen 1, I consider it a plus. 
  • I have mixed feelings about the new capture system.  On one hand, I LIKE that I don't have to fiddle with getting a pokemon down to low HP to catch them, and that I don't have to spend my party's "move energy," to do so.  On the other hand, the new capture mechanic (of just tossing Pokeballs at wild pokemon) is fiddly in its own way, and allows for a lot less strategy.  

Seems Meh:

  • I'm not sure that the PokeBall Plus warrants its price tag ($50).  Specifically, though you can use it as a controller in the game, it has a few issues.
    • The size and shape of the controller means that the stick always feels a little wobbly. 
    • The capture mechanic just isn't as consistent as it is in handheld mode; I can't say how it compares to the Joy-Con experience, since I haven't spent much time capturing in that mode. 
    • As of this moment, my take is that the device is fairly priced (it has plenty of features and feels good in the hand), BUT that its ability to interact with the game may not be worth the cost except for the most dedicated fans (and Pokemon collectors).
  • I was gobsmacked to learn that you can't play this game with the Pro Controller (only a single Joy-Con, the PokeBall Plus, or in handheld mode), or at the very least, it is not listed as a controller option in the game's UI.  
  • (Nit-pick) There are occasional frame-rate dips; I noticed this very early on in my experience with the game (e.,g. the Viridian Forest).
  • (Nit-pick) I am annoyed with how little avatar customization there has been, even a full 8 hours into the game.  I have only unlocked one outfit for my eevee, Everett, and all of the new outfits I've unlocked for my player avatar have been reskins of the first outfit.  I find this especially galling because even Pokemon GO, this game's free-to-play counterpart has more outfit options (even if many of them are hidden behind a paywall). 
  • (Nit-pick) Some of battle animations are still pretty wonky, even decades after the release of the first Pokemon game.  Dig, in particular, comes to mind; the pokemon using it basically just sinks into the ground, rather than doing any sort of digging motion.
  • (Nit-pick) When using "cut" on a tree / shrub, it regenerates after leaving square of the map you are occupying / if you enter and exit a building.  It is a small time loss, and the animation Eevee does when performing the move is cute, but it is still annoying to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over the Garden Wall #2, by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell

3.5 / 5 From the Publisher The Tale of Fred the Horse! This issue takes place between episodes 4-5 of the Cartoon Network miniseries and tel...